Friday, November 16, 2012

Back to Reality ~ Blog 21

In fairness, this is pregame.

So much for 19,000 fans at NBA games. I'm done blogging about sports after tonight. I swear. But this is what the vast majority of sports reporters know well: a near-empty arena hours before a game.

I've worked with guys who show up minutes before the start of a game. They aren't particularly respected. There's work to do. Hands to shake. Information to gather. Blogs to write (in my case).

I drove 110 miles today to Hartford, Ct., to cover a hockey game. I left home at 3 p.m. to beat insane rush-hour traffic on Interstate 90; that tactic was mostly successful.

And here goes another Friday night at work. Hartford Whale vs. Portland Pirates AHL hockey. They'll be happy if 2,500 people actually show up tonight. There are currently about 100 fans here. The Whale have some of the coolest hockey sweaters you've ever seen.

The Wife is a little less than happy I'm working my sixth straight evening shift (two of which were just freelancing gigs). Busy weeks are a rarity for me, not the rule. This week has shown how much I like to work.

"You're going above and beyond what any other freelancer has done covering this team," a Utah Jazz media contact told me.

That's almost surprising to me because I mostly operate at one speed, and that speed is apparently abnormally hardcore. I showed up almost three hours early for Wednesday's NBA game; tonight, I was in the hockey arena two hours early.

But that's OK. I had a blog to write. Certainly TW won't begrudge that.

*crosses fingers*

1 comment: