Thursday, October 25, 2012

I Don't Take a Sheet ~ P90X Blog 5

I tried to take a picture of the actual billboard in our neighborhood
park, but dogs aren't allowed. So, enjoy this picture from what
looks to be the same billboard.

Just a schorty today after yesterday's epic boring post.

I'm not the most conservative person in the world, but this advertising campaign makes me stop and wonder. It's from a park about a mile from our house. I run past this billboard on a daily basis. It's directly next to a YMCA and the park is jammed with kids year-round.

The slogan made me laugh out loud the first time I saw it. "I take a sheet in the pool." Hmm. It's far from the only edgy slogan for the energy strips, judging by their website (takeasheet.com). Sample slogan for LeBron James: Taking a Sheet is part of my halftime routine."

Let's argue both sides of the ethical issue. The company can argue that it has a literal meaning. Parents don't have to avert their childrens' eyes. If the kids ask about it, parents can just say, "She's a swimmer and she takes an energy sheet before she competes." All the slogans can be explained at face value, without lying to kids.

Parents can argue the slogans are aimed at kids. They know their kids know the swear words already, so they're not worried about that. They simply don't want swear words becoming a normal part of society.

What do I think? I don't really give a ...


No comments:

Post a Comment